Re: Standalone Network MP3 Players

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Standalone Network MP3 Players
  • From: "mark_harrison_uk2" <mph@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2003 14:24:49 -0000

Mark's personal POV:

Rio Receiver / DDAR
- Advantages: Price, Built in amp, xAP/xPL controllable
- Disadvantages: Only avaiable second-hand, poor quality display

Turtle Beach Audiotron
- Advantages: Digital out, no special server software required (1)
- Disadvantages: Price

SliMP3
- Advantages: Display usable by third party (xAP/xPL) applications
- Disadvantages: Price

Barix Exstreamer:
- Advantages: Price, size
- Disadvantages: No front panel control

Barix Exstreamer Digital:
- Advantage: size, price (sort of), digital out
- Disadvantages: Avaialbility???

(1): Works off standard Windows / SAMBA share

I personally have 6 Rio Receivers. This is more a reflection on what
was available a couple of years ago than what I would do now. I got
one in the original Graham Howe bulk buy, then imported a few more
directly, and finally organised a bulk buy on them myself.

If I were starting again, I'd probably go the SliMP3 route for
subsidiary rooms, and either the Barix Digital or Squeezebox route
for major rooms (where I have processors with digital in.)

Regards,

Mark