More dead CM12Us

When I came home tonight I knew something was wrong straight away as
there was no lights on and all the curtains were still open!  :-)   A
quick check revealed I could send any X10 commands via HomeSeer.
Pulled out my CM12U and discovered that the fuse had gone. Replaced
that - still no joy.  I recalled all the previous threads about
locked up CM12's so I tried all the documented fixes for that - left
it unplugged for some time, removed the batteries, reset it by
plugging it into an appliance module, etc, etc. Still no joy.

Then I remembered I'd once bought a spare one cheap when Homebase
stopped selling X10 so dragged that out of the loft - brand new and
never used. Still no joy.

Next I tried Dan Toma's Serial Port Communication Analyzer (SPCA)
program and used the CM12 specific test.  On both of my CM12's I get
an "X10 Communication Error".  What does this mean?

Next step will be to try another serial port on the PC but a) I've
never experienced a serial port failure before (ever) and b) it's a
major job to strip out my 'node zero' to get into the back of my
HomeSeer PC...

Any other thoughts before i try this?

Malcolm

PS this setup has been working like this for years and it's a number
of weeks since I made any changes.