Re: GotoMyPC!

wrote:

> > Thought i'd post about gotomypc as its an amazing service for
what
> > it offers.
>
> As you mentioned the security risks can be worrying.
>
> However the other major negative point is the price.

I agree it is pricey, particularly as it is an on-going cost, but for
me this is the first product that actually provides access to my home
network from behind my employers firewall.

There have been discussions in the past about connecting to home
networks and in particular problems associates with multiple port
numbers and NAT'ing. We are still waiting for a certain person to
provide the guide to setting up multiple web servers behind a router
and accessing them through a single port ;-) But this software
completely removes the need to do that.

By buying a single copy I would be able to connect to the home web
server, DDARs, Tivos, HomeVision and every workstation desktop on the
home network as well as being able to RDC to my web server in the US.
None of this is possible at present because my employer blocks almost
every port through it's firewalls.

The only real question for me is whether another company will soon
release a competing and cheaper product in the near future.

>From a corporate security point of view I think this equates to an
enormous potential risk. The idea of a disgruntled employee
installing this software on a corporate server and publishing the
password is quite scary!