Re: [OT] Domain hosting

Quoting Scott Ling <s_ling@xxxxxxx>:

> Well, it had to happen sooner or later - one of our IT bods has
finally
> \'discovered\' that I receive significantly more incoming email than
anyone
> else in the department. Trying to plug the virtues of the UKHA list
didn\'t

LOL, I think we all live in anticipation of that :/

> I currently have a mercury mail server and simple dns at the end of a
> blue-yawn-der cable link, so I *think* what I\'m looking for is a
(cheap)
> hosting service to host my DNS records and possibly MX record, to
allow me to

Lots of options:
www.arielhosting.com/ukha.shtml is about the cheapest you will get (that\'s
me)
http://www.rapidhoster.co.uk/index.php?pg=ukha
offer great value for money but
are a whopping(!) £20 p.a.
There are a few others I posted recently if you look through the archives -
there were a lot of \"me too\'s\" offering cheap hosting a few
weeks back.

> receive and store mail at home (which I will then read via web
interface from
> work :-) )  Is this thinking correct ?

That\'s a good question :)
Any of us offering said hosting can set up your box as the primary mail
server
for the domain, with us acting as secondary (And indeed tertiary thanks to
gradwell.net\'s backup mail service).

All you need do is sign up with someone, point your name server records to
their nameservers, and ask nicely if your MX records can be updated.
In some cases, you can even do this yourself!

HTH,

Tony