RE: appliance modules: why don't they do...

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: appliance modules: why don't they do...
  • From: "Graham Howe" <graham@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 10:00:28 -0000

I've never used the plug in modules myself, but don't they come on if you
t=
urn the load off and on? In other words flicking the switch on the kettle
i=
tself?

> I have a number of the x10 wallswitches, which are fine on walls, but
> I don't think they would look right for controlling, say, a kettle!
>=20

Agreed, although the appliance versions (non-dimming) do have a nice led
on=
the front don't they?

> I have my curtains controlled with x10. Here a manual override would
> be good, but things would easily get out-of-sync with the controller
> not realising if they were open/closed. I guess that's where a status
> indicator becomes useful, but I don't want to fit tm13s on all my
> windows!
>=20

There ws an announcement recently about Laser doing a module that could
con=
trol curtains and would respond to x10 so that OFF =3D Close and ON =3D
Ope=
n as well as dimming for partially open. That might help.

> I saw the micromodules  but at =A360+ each... ouch!
>=20

Yes, very expensive

> What about the din modules? I know you can connect a switch to those.
> LA is down again ;( and looking on laser, I can't see any mention of a
> status signal.
>=20

No status on any Din modules :(

> BTW the site says you can use micromodules for two way switching on
> staircases. I thought I had read here that you cannot; something to do
> with it signalling on two adjacent codes? IE the unit at the bottom of
> the stairs sends A1 and A2 but upstairs sends A2 and A3? Is this
> right?
>=20

Not sure, I use Din modules so evrything is via momentary switches and I
ca=
n link as many as I like in parallel.