RE: [SOT] Noisy servers

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [SOT] Noisy servers
  • From: "Phil Harris" <phil@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2003 21:19:02 -0000

> This one has been killing me for ages...
>
> 90% of my machines at home are silent or near silent except the
> big fat one
> (no not me - the machine with 16 harddisks crammed into it).

What case have you gor for 16 hard discs? I have that problem at the moment
in that I need to get 16 data drives plus a boot drive and DVD ROM drive in
one server.

> I guess anyone else with at least one serious filestore at home must
be
> suffering with the amount of noise that 1 box makes.... Where does one
> locate it in the house ?

Yup ... my two fileservers plus network switch make a hell of a noise ...
currently they live in what is supposed to be our smallest bedroom but
they're starting to annoy me.

> I did have it hidden away under the stairs until summer when the
> temperatures were ripe and I thought it best to have the door left
open as
> far as the loft was concerned it was baking up there.
>
> Any ideas given by where you locate fatboy would be much appreaciated.
It
> may just be that I have to resort to turning it into an 'on demand'
server
> and not one that needs to be run 24/7.

Current plan is that I'll rebuild the server(s) so that I have just one
main
fileserver which is litterally just that rather than having the DVD server
and FTP / HomeVision / SliMP3 server - then the server can go down into the
garage!

Phil