Some things don't change...

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Some things don't change...
  • From: "Phil Harris" <phil@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2003 16:36:17 -0000

Maplin have opened up a nice shiny new store in Southampton - compared to
the old one it's huge - gotta be three times the size I guess at least and
-
according to someone I know who went in yesterday "really well
stocked".

So I tried calling them this morning as I wanted to try to get a PC built
and ready for this evening ... no answer ... so I headed off for one of
their "Aluminium MiniITX case with amplifier", a "Gyration
Suite" and
possibly a pack of 100 DVD-R's.

Well as you'd say I shouldn't have been suprised to find that the case
wasn't in stock ... I was a little suprised that the Gyration Suite wasn't
in stock but - well - par for the day really.

I asked about whether the DVD-R's were suitable for use with the DVD writer
I have here (a Sony 500A) and the guy behind the counter said "Yeah
... I
know there's a lot of problems with some DVDs not writing on certain
drives - you'd just have to try them."

"Ahhh ... and so if they didn't write I could bring them back?"

"No ... coz you'll have opened them"

"OK ... so can you find out who they're made by?"

"No ... you'll just have to try them"

"But if they don't work I've chucked £80 down the drain"

"Well, yes..."

"Would *YOU* buy £80 worth of DVD-R's without being able to verify
whether
they're OK on a particular writer?"

"No."

End of conversation...