fleetonline.net - Mobile Phone Tracking...

Hi,
Wondered if anyone has any thoughts / has used these guys to track your
mobile phone... Saw something at a trade show the other day whereby you
pay a sub - and a cost per retrieval and they tell you where your (or
other phones you have subbed) phone was last seen.

We've tried this thing at work - the accuracy seems to be within 500m of
where the phone is - although typically I guess if your in a building
its going to affect your cell readings...

Tried it at home to track daughters mobile to which it thinks it right
over the other side of town! (not much good when her school run each day
is in the opposite direction and not that far away...)  but again -
tested with the phone sat next to me on the 'puter

The way these things seem to work is based on 'last known cell'
information picked up from your provider network (orange, one2one...)
when you ask them for a location. I wonder if this information is freely
accessible? or do you need a license to run this... maybe creating a
simple locater web site could be a matter of scripting the results in to
a map quest search maybe...

The extra 'value add' that seems to exist with fleetonline seem to be
nice things like sending txt messages and having a nice 'list of
personnel' to get access to.

I suppose it may have limited use - if only to get a general idea of
where your mobile is (so you can home in the buggers who stole it!??)

Fleetonline works by charging your main mobile a premium rate txt
message for each search although you can get better deals based on
numbers (as ever :!)

anyways rambles over.... food for thought... and no - this isn't an
advertisement :)

Wayne
www.planetWayne.com