RE: Source Switching for Projector

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Source Switching for Projector
  • From: "Phil Harris" <phil@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 09:56:09 -0000

> I'd always believed, obviously wrongly I now know, that component was
the
> best.
>
> So basically I wasted money on decent component cables, since the
> projector
> also accepts rgb input and both dvd players have rgb output?

In theory RGB *SHOULD* be better as the triads that make up an image on a
display are Red, Green and Blue and so feeding an RGB signal should give a
truer picture (or at least require less "decoding" at the display
end).

In practice you probably won't be able to tell the difference - I certainly
can't - between component and RGB and component has the advantage of being
pretty "standard" whereas you get different "flavours"
of RGB (RGB with sync
on green, RGB with separate sync, RGB with separate Hsync and Vsync) plus,
I'm sure I remember reading somewhere that the encoding on a DVD is done as
YUV rather than RGB (but that could be just my dodgy memory and it might
have been laserdisc that I'm remembering) so if that's the case then you
would have to have a conversion from the YUV colourspace to RGB colourspace
occuring in the DVD player rather than in the TV.

If you're happy then don't worry about it...

Phil

Oooo bugger! Should I have changed the subject for this because we're not
talking about switching any more ... Ali's gonna give my arse a kicking on
IRC tonight! :-P