RE: Automated power sockets

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Automated power sockets
  • From: "Keith Doxey" <ukha@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 12:24:18 -0000

No problem using one for a kettle.

My kettle has been on an X10 module for about 7 years.

You have to set the kettle up for it to be switched on anyway. My kettle
automatically switches off if you lift it from the base or even just
dislodge it slightly. It also has overheat protection. I basically use X10
to REMOVE power from the kettle between 10pm and getting up time. Just
before going to bed I fill the kettle and switch it on. Because the power
is
not present it doesnt operate until 05:40 when the power comes on. I
stummble down the stairs at 05:45 to a ready boiled kettle :-)

I WOULDNT use X10 to control any form of Electric Heater though just in
case
it got switched on accidently.

Only once in all that time has it failed to work but I am 110% certain that
was because we didnt have any electricity due to a power cut :-(

Keith

www.diyha.co.uk
www.kat5.tv