home networking resources

Can anyone recommend a good book and or site for a network beginner?

I'm totally befuddled by NAT DHCP, VPN and the like.

My intention is to get our humble 2 PC network integrated with tivo,
MV1000,
and a couple of embedded devices that will show alarm status weather etc.
I'd like to be able to acess some of these form the big bad web and am
therefore particularly interested in the best way to setup secure access.
I think I really need a good beginners guide so that I can have some hope
of
following the Tivo and other HA networking related guides :-/

Thanks in advance

Dave