From: "Frank Mc Alinden" <fmcalind@xxxxxxx>
To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, November 10, 2003 6:30 PM
Subject: Re: [ukha_d] Re: Getting Ready for CBUS

> Hi Dean
>
>             Havent blown any bulbs as yet but i have lost a channel on
one
of my dimmers..This channel has 3 ..50 w ..low voltage halogen on it
......Personally i dont think the mcb,s will react quick enough therefore
if
i put protection on my circuits i will use hrc fuses....

> Frank

if
your

<ukcueman@y...> wrote:
>     > Don't forget that you don't want lights close to each other
on the
>     same dimmer. Ideally,
>     > if a dimmer blows, you would like to lose various lights
>     throughout the house rather than
>     > lots of lights in one area. For example, if you have 4 CBus
>     channels in your lounge, you'd
>     > want them on different dimmers.
>     >
>     > Consequently, some of my dimmers will control circuits that
are
>     both upstairs and
>     > downstairs and are therefore on the same CU circuit. But
then, I'm
>     having all my CBus fed
>     > from a single CU MCB, with a secondary board to distribute
power
>     to the individual
>     > dimmers. So each dimmer will have its own MCB from the
secondary
>     board.
>     >
>     > All my lights are wired back to node0 - where the secondary
board
>     is.
>     >
>     > Disclaimer: I am not an electrician
>     >
CU is in
>     the
>     > > kitchen).
>     > >
>     > > Neil
>     > >
it is for Low voltage
>     and
>     > > > incandescent lights.... Do I use that for the mains
halogen?
>     > >
>     > > Yes....
>     > >
>     > > > Oh and does anyone know the best place to buy low
cost consumer
>     > > units?
>     > >
>     > > Paul Gale or Brian ?? can point you in the right
direction......
<Neil.Frost@s...>
>     wrote:
>     > > > Hi all.
>     > > >
>     > > > I've been drooling over Franks CBUS installation
thinking "I
>     Want,
>     > > I Want".
>     > > > But as always funds become an issue.... So
>     > > >
>     > > > I'm in the process of rewiring the lights in the
house and had
>     > > > thought..... I can't afford the CBUS stuff yet...
but I should
>     be
>     > > able to
>     > > > cable for it.
>     > > >
>     > > > The mains feed for the upstairs lights goes through
my Node 0
>     so,
>     > > is it
>     > > > feasible to put a consumer unit in the middle of it
all and,
>     > > instead of
>     > > > running the mains feed from junction box to
junction box, run
>     > > separate mains
>     > > > feeds for each set of lights via individual 6a mcbs
(each set
>     of
>     > > lights
>     > > > having its own mcb).?
>     > > >
>     > > > That way when I come to put in the CBUS (or as an
interim put
>     some
>     > > X10
>     > > > modules in) all the mains wiring is in place and I
can just
>     swap
>     > > the mcbs
>     > > > for the CBUS module.
>     > > >
>     > > > That brings me onto another couple of
questions.....
>     > > >
>     > > > How wide does the consumer unit need to be for the
8way CBUS
>     unit
>     > > (I guess
>     > > > in mcbs..)?
>     > > > I have Mains halogen lights in the rooms that are
dimmable
>     using
>     > > IR light
>     > > > switches, the CBUS "dimmable" unit says
it is for Low voltage
>     and
>     > > > incandescent lights.... Do I use that for the mains
halogen?
>     > > >
>     > > > Oh and does anyone know the best place to buy low
cost consumer
>     > > units?
>     > > >
>     > > > TIA