RE: Re: GoVideo Network DVD Player

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Re: GoVideo Network DVD Player
  • From: "Graham Howe" <graham@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 09:47:45 -0000

> So would you recommend one product for streaming music and a
> different product for streaming video at the moment?  Is there a
> good product out there for streaming video *without* having to rip
> the DVD to the hard-disk first?

I'm not sure I understand your question here. If you don't rip the DVD
to the hard disk, then where are you streaming it from? Anyway, as far
as I am aware, there is no product available in the UK that can play DVD
quality video from a central server other than a PC. Something like the
x-box comes close, but as Phil points out it can't do DVD quality and of
course it has to be hacked to do anything remotely useful anyway (it is
after all a PC underneath that ugly exterior). The Kiss, and I assume
other similar products are also unable to play DVD quality from network.
Personally I would go with a dedicated home cinema PC for now until the
technology becomes a bit more mainstream and then someone may produce a
video equivalent of the network mp3 players. But please do explain what
your video source is if it is not ripped DVDs.