RE: bluetooth

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: bluetooth
  • From: "Alistair Watkins" <ukha@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 8 Nov 2003 16:20:14 -0000

Hi,

as you said Bluetooth is pretty slow the maximum rate is 768kbs split in
various ways over both directions (like ADSL) (i think!) So you probably
wont get more than 250k.. which will probably feel like 56k

however, it does support IP, if you get a decent USB adapter that supports
one of the IP profiles... Its good for quick Ad-Hoc networking (i use it to
have a few embedded IP over bluetooth webservers in some of my control
devices) but not good for using as a LAN...
It really is worth spending the cash on getting good WiFi cards, as they
will prevent a lot of frustration later! (one one of my cheap USB ones, the
range is about 2 meters)

HTH

AListair

Lexmark