Embedded CPU/mobo/OS combi good at RF?

Does anyone know of an embedded CPU/mobo/OS combination that would be good
at communicating data in a short-range wireless method via RF?  I'm not
really after something that's got integral TCP/IP abilities, but more a
simple protocol that will support something like a 512Kbit/s bit stream.
Doesn't have to come with any integral abilities or protocols so long as in
theory it could be programmed to do that.

I don't necessarily need anything that comes with a transceiver as standard
on board, so long as one could be fairly easily added to turn it into a
wireless device.  The range is something like 20m and the power
requirements probably won't need to be that great as there are no
obstacles.  The device itself should ideally be as small and compact as
possible but probably won't need to be housed in anything and it's shape
doesn't really matter.

I've investigated that TINI and Rabbit but not entirely sure if these will
suit my needs as I am more concerned with data throughput than spangly
features.

In a way I suppose you could sum it up as a 1/2Mbit wireless
non-standardised switch.

Cheers,