RE: Hello

Hi Tom,

Thank You for your informative reply. And, by the way, welcome to the list
- I have been a member for about a couple of years although not a
particularly active one in terms of my contribution - I have certainly
gained a lot - both interms of knowledge and things I never intended to
purchase - that said my level of HA development is probably very basic
compared to that of others on the list. What are your plans?

I would like to clarify your comment about the Cisco experience. Is this
with reference to the Cisco Avvid platform?

As with my previous posting I am looking to develop my understanding so any
clarification you or anyone else can offer would be great.

Again considering business use and the comments made in your earlier post,
what about the more traditional PABX manufacturers who offer 3 platforms -
analogue PABX, digital PABX and VoIP enabled PABX or maybe even soft PABX.
Do their VoIP offerings justify themselves on a cost/functionality basis
when compared their own more traditional solutions -considering the
'standard' sort of functionality?

Perhaps I am confusing 2 different sets of technologies, and please clarify
for me if I am, but from my perspective, outside of the top few thousand
'enterprises' and maybe public service organisations, I see more
opportunity at present for development of VoIP in the home environment. It
is my understanding that the facilities and features required by a home
user are likely to be a subset of those demanded by a business
implementation - less need for internal terminal control and management.
However, I consider services like Free World Dialup and protocols such as
SIP as an enabler for the home user with a specific set of issues to
overcome - lack of gateway/gatekeeper a NAT connection etc. Is this still
what you would call VoIP - am I still talking about the same thing or does
this really fall outside the core of what is generally meant as VoIP?

In the case above, at the extreme, I view the home user's PSTN connection
simply as an access circuit for an Internet connection providing access to
many services one of which is VoIP base Internet Telephony.

Obviously the main enabler for the home user is the existence of an always
on broadband or (to allow incoming calls)un-metered dial-up Internet
connection. In my mind this enables Internet telephony for the home user
and can provide real cost savings from day one. Obviously this is only true
when contacting other parties with a suitable connection and active client
associated with either the same or an inter-connected service of some form.

Like I said this is simply the view I have - if my understanding is wrong
then I would certainly appreciate some pointers.

Thanks,

David