Re: USB Cable Length and CAT5

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: USB Cable Length and CAT5
  • From: "Andy Laurence" <andy@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 06 Nov 2003 10:25:01 -0000

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "jim" <jim@y...> wrote:
> Can someone tell me what the maximum (practical) cable length for
USB is
> and if its possible to use a CAT5 cable for the cable run, i
beleive a usb cable
> has either 2 or 3 wires??

The specs say you can run 5 metres without a repeater, and you may
use 5 repeaters.  However, I have spoken to someone who did quite a
lot of experimentation using different pairs on CAT5 cable, and he
achieved significantly longer distances.

> If possible what i want to do is use exisiting CAT5 cable in the
house, to plug in a USB device in another room, using CAT5 cable and
a couple of USB-CAT5 converters???

I was thinking of a similar application, but never actually tried it.

> If this is possible are there such things as CAT5 to USB converters
already in the market place?

In short, no.  The connectors will be the weak point in the cable.
I'd suggest soldering a USB plug to either end of the CAT5 cable, and
not going through structured cabling if possible.

Cheers,
Andy
--
http://ha.andylaurence.co.uk