RE: Re: HTPC+zoomplayer

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Re: HTPC+zoomplayer
  • From: "Phil Harris" <phil@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2003 21:53:13 -0000

> That is the biggest problem I have now, almost everything works as I
> want it to, but I can't afford the disk space required for all my
> DVDs. I reckon that I will need about 2.5 Tb to do the job properly
> and at the moment I am still on less than 1 Tb across my LAN. Once
> 250Gb drives get down to £100 I think I'll buy 10 of them and get it
> sorted.

I've got 265 complete movies onto 10 x 160Gb drives with about 12% of the
space still free. Nothing has been removed from those so with pruning (of
foreign language audio tracks and extras) you should be alble to increase
that quite a bit.

> In the mean time I am continuing to tweak the set up to get it just
> right, the only remaining significant problem is lack of a reliable
> remote control solution.

Well there's the iPronto... :-D

But I have to say that I've been looking at the Sky Navigator keyboard
remote as a possibility - it has a handy little keyboard for typing in
search details!!!

> I am using a Gyration mouse to control it at
> the moment which is very reliable but not very intuitive and too
> expensive to be putting on multiple clients. I have an IR remote that
> cam with the case and uses a built in receiver, but the software it
> uses is not stable and had crashed after a 3 day period. I need
> something that will sit there for weeks on end and then work
> instantly when required.

Just bought a RedRat3 but haven't had chance to try it ... Girder seems
solid enough but I'm afraid IR Assistant is as stable as a drunk after a
good hard kick to the testicles.

> > I will try using ZoomPlayer with myHTPC.
>
> It is fiddly to set up, but very powerful.
>
> > Whilst on the subject, another minor thing about htpc, I would
like
> > increase the size of the up down arrows on the navigation screen.
> > When using a mouse and tv, they are a bit fiddy to click on.
> >

> Me too, not found a way yet, but a complete rewrite of myHTPC is
> underway and will provide a lot more customisation of the front end I
> think.

I'm also trying to get Pablo to support the HollyWood Plus cards as an
output for the GUI as well as for the movie output...

Phil