Re: Cat 5e or Cat 6 -- shielded or unshielded?

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Cat 5e or Cat 6 -- shielded or unshielded?
  • From: "Derek Erb" <erb@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 04 Nov 2003 14:31:03 -0000

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "UKHA " <ukha@o...> wrote:

< We use a lot of Hellermann Tyton product and they are shipping as
standard Cat6 UTP panels and Cat5e UTP Outlets, OK for a Cat5e
system.
<

I am a little lost in the mixture of cable...

Can I plug a Cat5e UTP wire in to a Cat6 FTP wall socket at one end
and plug other end of that same wire in to a Cat5e UTP wiring frame?

Should I change the wiring frame to Cat6 FTP?

> Safety regulations dictate that where power and data are run
together in trunking there must be physical segregation.

Safety regulations are different over here on the Continent (the
other side of the channel {g})

> I'm sure your aware of this if you've been cabling for years :)

All too true.  I've cabled in the States (in my youth), the UK (in
my older youth) and here in France for 2 decades now (in my ancient
period just prior to death).

;-)

Here in France we have electricity plinths which have a high voltage
bottom track and a low voltage upper track with an 85mm separation
between the two.  I will be running my Ethernet wires in the upper
track...

Thanks,