Re: Cat 5e or Cat 6 -- shielded or unshielded?

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Cat 5e or Cat 6 -- shielded or unshielded?
  • From: "Derek Erb" <erb@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 04 Nov 2003 12:19:08 -0000

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "UKHA " <ukha@o...> wrote:

I should have prefaced my original message...

I've been cabling 4-pair Cat5 Ethernet for years and years...

I was unaware that there was such a radical difference in cabling
techniques between Cat5e and Cat6.

I am therefore probably going to avoid the Cat6 and go for the Cat5e.

However I am going to be near electric lines in several points and
will probably go with SFTP.

My electrician however is supplying the RJ45 sockets, as they are in
the same block as the telephone and mains sockets, and he only has
Cat6 FTP sockets.

Question:  Can I run Cat5e STP cable througout and plug one end in
to a Cat6 FTP socket and the other end in to a Cat5e STP wiring
frame?

Thanks,