RE: Cat 5e or Cat 6 -- shielded or unshielded?

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Cat 5e or Cat 6 -- shielded or unshielded?
  • From: "Rob Mouser" <rmouser@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2003 08:40:01 -0000

Hi Derek

I don't have a "technical" answer but was left with the same
question when =
we cabled the barn.=20
In the end we went for shielded for two reasons:
1) the cost was not much higher.
2) Some whole house audio systems 'like' shielded cable. Such as QED
System=
line and at the time we did not know what we were putting in.

Our cable contractor said that shielded does offer greater protection
again=
st interference as long as installed properly. (Apparently you terminate
th=
e shield at one end only? Which is how ours is done. And the shield is
conn=
ected to the house earth.)
One other thing to note is that patch panels for FTP tend to be expensive
t=
hanks to lead on this list though I picked some up on Ebay for only =A320
e=
ach.

As I said no real technical knowledge.

Many thanks