Cat 5e or Cat 6 -- shielded or unshielded?

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Cat 5e or Cat 6 -- shielded or unshielded?
  • From: "Derek Erb" <erb@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 04 Nov 2003 08:13:34 -0000

We have finally moved in to our new house this weekend and I am
going to start cabling tomorrow.

I am going to be running an Ethernet backbone throughout the house,
with WiFi (802.11g) in the actual rooms), at probably 100 mbps but
with a view to the future (sharing multimedia around the house, real-
time game-playing, etc., etc., etc.) so I want the best bandwidth I
can get.

I am running 2 RJ45 sockets in each room down to a wiring frame in
the basement.  My question therefore is:

To Cat5e or to Cat6... that is the question.

Whether tis nobler to use shielded cable or unshielded cable when
running through walls which could be near electricity...

Hast thou an answer or suggestion?

Iambic pentameter to be avoided where possible {g}

Thanks,