RE: Re: LED lighting

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Re: LED lighting
  • From: "Keith Doxey" <ukha@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 2 Nov 2003 10:45:10 -0000

All the RGB ones on the UK seem to be 6 legged with 2 blues.

Red + Blue + Common
Green + Blue + Common

I have seen the 4 legged ones on the web but anything with a common
terminal
prevents them being connected in series. Each LED in the package would
therefore need its own series resistor which makes it a lot less neat.

All the LED lighting fixtures made by Pulsar for stage lighting use
INDIVIDUAL Red, Green and Blue LED's wired in series and operated from a 24
volt supply. This means less resistors, less power lost in the resistors
and
overall, a much lower supply current.

Provided that the LED's are evenly spaced the colours will still mix
correctly once they hit the surface to be illuminated.

eg... instead of spacing multicolour LED's on 30mm centres, mount Red,Green
and Blue LED's on 10mm centres. A long slim PCB would be the preferred way
of mounting them because wiring them individually would take forever
whereas
a PCB would be insert LED, solder two wires, snip leads, repeat.

R ->------>------>------>------>--------RES--GROUND

G ---->------>------>------>------>-----RES--GROUND

B ------->------>------>------>------>--RES--GROUND

Number of LED's in series would be dependent on the final supply voltage
chosen and the Blue will almost certainly require less LED's in the chain
but more chains due to the higher forward voltage of Blue LED's

With regard to the mounting of the LED's, the Ali channel seems like a very
good method. Find a precision engineering company with a CNC machine and
they should easily be able to set it up to churn out predrilled channel by
the metre. You may well find that they can also source it cheaper than
B&Q.
If you start with plain channel you can have it anodised to any colour you
want but it anodising tends to be quite expensive in small quantities.

Keith

www.diyha.co.uk
www.kat5.tv