Powermid Interference?

Hi folks.

Apologies for asking yet another dumb question - one of these days I'll
actually be able to answer something!

I use a couple of the older Powermid units (the ones that work on 418
MHz) to get IR signals from my home cinema into my AV system. These have
worked faithfully for a number of years, but they suddenly stopped
working last weekend. After an enormous amount of painstaking analysis,
I eventually pinned down the problem to a new serial port card in my HA
PC (situated within a couple of feet of the Powermid receiver). With the
PC powered up, the LED on the  receiver that lights up when it is
receiving a signal is constantly on. I think that this is causing the
Powermid to emit a constant stream of IR "white noise" which is
preventing any real signals from getting through.

Has anyone encountered a similar problem? Is there some sort of
shielding I could put round the PC to prevent this? Do the newer 433Mhz
Powermids suffer from the same problem?

Any help gratefully received!

Julian