RE: Plasma TV advice, Hitachi?

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Plasma TV advice, Hitachi?
  • From: "Chris McGookin" <chris@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 23:26:43 +0100

It's worth trying to get a copy of the Avia Home Cinema DVD... this has
a load of test screens, sounds, etc so you can calibrate the screen, I
bought a cheap sound level meter to balance the amp at the same time.
You may still get Avia over on AVforums in a bulk buy, I paid about =A320
or =A325. The Radio Shack analogue SPL meter was about the same from
Cornwall Electronics
Once I tried this is showed just how high the factory contrast and
brightness settings actually were, even on 'life extension' mode, short
term screen retention at least is a lot less (tell u about long term
burn next year... ;-)
=20
People seem to suggest that you're careful in the first 100 hours or so
of any plasmas life...'burn' it routinely with the 'all white' screen
saver- particularly after long static (PC) use, this will help harden it
supposedly (not sure if that came from a fish wife but it sounded
sensible... ;-)
Calibrate it after the 1st 100hrs.
=20
The general view is that they're not as good as CRT's, for me this is
pretty much the same as mp3's being 'inferior' to CD...but, if you're
thinking of using it for a PC,  compare the price against a 42' monitor
of the same resolution...(not a 'TV'). This for me is the benefit, I've
you've ever scan converted PC to TV you'll know how poor the output is.
I haven't used my CRT monitor in the house since January.. the HCPC goes
into one VGA on the plasma, the server into the other, and component in
>from
=20
I use software DVD...Theatretek, and a software plug in called
Powerstrip to do the custom resolutions to prevent scanning issues
(although still tweaking!). I know Powerstrip will match ATI cards with
specific driver versions, not sure about the others.
=20
=20
There is some new fangled "organic TFT " or similar out later
this year,
think a 50 or 56' was muted at around =A33K initially don't know much
about it...think it's Philips.
=20
I know a few people have mentioned to use composite or somthing equally
dismal for a Sky/ TIVO connection...probably hides some of the 'detail'
>from
=20
Finally, fan clarification. The 42PMA400e has 'noticeable' fans...I have
a 'stealth' mod in mind once I'm very sure I can get the same airflow...
I also need to try out some of the RS232 commands...you can set them to
something like 'on' and 'quiet' but only by serial port. Hex is
calling... :-/
The 42PD3000 I *believe* has fans in the remote tuner/ connection box as
they moved the I2 image processing chip (which needs the cooling) from
the screen to the remote box. But, I've been led to believe that this
model (and the other TV versions) are quiet.
=20
I wouldn't get too carried away by progressive scan discussions on the
Hitachi (or other ALIS screens), this doesn't sem to matter becuae of
the way the scan works...more at Hitachi's site...
=20
=20
Cheers,
=20