From: Ray Barnett [mailto:lists@xxxxxxx]
Sent: 11 May 2003 18:54
To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [ukha_d] UKHA2003 TiVo upgrade HD purchase

FWIW, I've often heard it said that it's best to go for the 5400RPM drives
in TIVO because "7200RPM run hotter", yet I cannot say I've seen
any
evidence to back the claim up. When I researched which hard drive to use
for
my upgrade, I looked hard on the various forums and couldn't find anyone
who
had experienced problems that they put down to heat generated by the
harddrive.

In the end I decided that noise was by far my biggest concern. At the
time,
the quietest I could find was a 7200RPM Seagate. At 25dB I find it to be
inaudible. I've not found that TIVO is running any hotter or cooler than
it
was before I upgraded the drive. It has just been recording and
simulataneously playing back something for the past hour, and the
temperature is currently 35C.

It might be that 7200RPM do cause problems for some, but I thought it
worth
pointing out that I've not seen any issues, and there is far more choice
of
7200RPM drives, particularly in respect of noise, over 5400RPM drives.

HTH,

Ray Barnett.