Re: X10 UK-US Query/Electric Curtain

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: X10 UK-US Query/Electric Curtain
  • From: "james_dunn67" <james.dunn@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 10 May 2003 19:44:42 -0000

Stuart,

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Stuart Townhill" <stuart@t...>
wrote:
> Am I right in thinking it appears to be
> more costly in the UK than the US? If so is this due to higher
> standards/quality or just that the UK market is tiny in comparison?

Almost certainly the non-US market is too small.  Typically, there
are a few component differences to cater for the 240/120V and 50/60Hz
differences but nothing that would dramatically alter the price.
However, form factors are typically different and this will lead to
lower volume production for European countries and higher unit
prices.  Add to that the fact that this is pretty new to most people
outside of America and you compound the problem with a smaller
addressable market.

> Secondly has anyone tried using the electric motor for curtains
which
> operates on an existing corded track? (I.e. just attach motor to
cord
> and must operate like an electric pulley)

Yes, I have these and Swish ones.  Despite the crude design (a
physical switch designed for humna hand use is knocked by moveable
fingers on a rotating disk), the puley ones work well.  They are
rather noisy - particularly compared to the Swish ones (now owned by
Silent Gliss).  But then, the price is hugely different.

Regards,

James