RE: screen capture -> video prog?

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: screen capture -> video prog?
  • From: "Paul" <p-gale@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 10 May 2003 08:57:13 +0100

Ant,

I use various screen capture methods professionally - to produce
software demo CD's etc for customers. You could use the free Microsoft
technology - Windows Media Encoder which has a capture element and can
use the MS Screen CODEC. I've found this to be a bit troublesome though
(and had playback compatibility problems with some graphic cards (ATI
especially) when played full screen).

By far the best method is to use a product called Camtasia
(www.techsmith.com). It comes with a basic editing prog as well although
you can fully edit the resulting .AVI video in your favourite video
editing prog (if you have one). I often edit screen video in Premiere.
The quality is superb - captured video is an exact copy of the original
screen. All that is needed to play back is the Camtasia CODEC installed
on the end users PC (for which Techsmith supply a simple installer).
I've produced CD's (Using Macromedia Director) that contain Camtasia
video - when the CD loads, it automatically installs this CODEC.

I've also used Camtasia at exhibitions at Olympia - instead of driving
software live (which normally falls over - especially if it's new!), it
can be played back and with careful timing the audience thinks it's a
live demo.

Let me know if you need any more info.

Paul.