From: Mick Furlong
To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
Sent: Saturday, May 10, 2003 10:05 AM
Subject: RE: [ukha_d] Automatic Generator cut in

Frank

I am pretty certain the UPS knows when the power comes back and
communicates
it to the software on the server, from there it is just a lil bit of work
get it into the HA software. However it might be better if I used the viom
and some sort of current sensing circuit to switch everything. This would
take the PC and the UPS out of the decision loop and limit the points of
failure. The HA server could still be aware of the failure through both the
viom and the UPS but if it was kaput then the gennie would still cut in. I
am pretty sure the viom can work in standalone mode like this this once it
is programmed. Another possibility might be to use Comfort to monitor and
switch it all. Unfortunately I can't try all this until the new house is
finished....only a couple of months to go!

I will sketch it out and see if it makes sense.

Cheers for the help
Mick