From: "Ian Willoughby" <ian@xxxxxxx>
To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, May 08, 2003 2:27 PM
Subject: Free DNS was RE: [ukha_d] BB choice & multiple static IP
addresses

> Found a free DNS service at http://soa.granitecanyon.com/
>
> Just setting up an entry for my new UK domain :-)
>
> R's
> Ian

www.dyndns.org custom DNS ($30 one off payment from memory). Also
register.com has administration of IP addresses and names registered with
them. I have noticed that UK domains don't tend to let you update DNS
directly.

> R's
>
> Ian

points at the ISP's webspace.  For my external server I have to enter the
IP
address, but I would really like to use DEV.forsion.co.uk.  Also,
TiVO@xxxxxxx and Slim@xxxxxxx would be really good.

>         Is this something I can do, or does the ISP have to do it?
>

>         Steve

for
network address, 1 for broadcast and one for your router leaves 5 usable
for
other things) why wouldn't you? You could use port forwarding to various
devices but this will mean addressing things is not quite so logical e.g
tivo might be referenced as mydomain.com:81 and HA server might be
mydomain.com:82. I find it a lot nicer to address them as tivo.mydomain.com
<mailto:tivo@xxxxxxx>  or
ha.mydomain.com. I have a router with openish
access to my servers, email, web etc (this is commenly called a DMZ). There
is a second router running on the DMZ which has NAT and I hang all my
workstations and laptops off of this.

>                 I am planning on hanging VOIP gateways on the DMZ side
of
the network in the very near future.

>                 Hope this helps
>

>                 R's
>

>                 Ian

static IP
addresses

>                       Help please!
>

>                       Am figuring out which BB ISP to use - my dilemma
is
whether I need to

>                       sign up for multiple static IP addresses.
>

>                       I'd like to be able to access remotely - at
moment
just to control

>                       Tivo and view a security Webcam. In future I may
decide to work from

>                       home & need remote access from other
locations to a
work server &

>                       applications etc.
>

>                       I'll almost certainly buy a Draytek 2600we
(unless I
get better

>                       recommendation) which I assume will need an IP
address of its own - I

>                       assume I'd be able to access LAN based devices
via
port forwarding -

>                       is this the case?
>

>                       So - for my immediate needs would I be ok with
just
a single static

>                       address - and for what other uses in the future
would I definitely

>                       need further IP addresses?
>

>                       TIA
>

>                       Nick
>

>                       PS I'm looking at F2S, Eclipse & Zen as
possible
suppliers

Sponsor ---------------------~-->

http://us.click.yahoo.com/YoVfrB/XP.FAA/uetFAA/IBOolB/TM

-----------------~->

>                       ** UKHA2003 BE THERE! Details here:
http://www.automatedhome.co.uk/article.php3?story_id=1110
**

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

>                 [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

>         Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

<http://rd.yahoo.com/M=251812.3170658.4537139.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=17050419
92:HM/A=1564415/R=0/*http://www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=60164784&partid=317
0658>

<http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=251812.3170658.4537139.1261774/D=egroupmai
l/S=:HM/A=1564415/rand=903590471>

>                 ** UKHA2003 BE THERE! Details here:
http://www.automatedhome.co.uk/article.php3?story_id=1110
**

>                 http://www.automatedhome.co.uk
>

>                 Post message: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
>

>                 Subscribe:  ukha_d-subscribe@xxxxxxx

>                 Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo!
Terms
of Service <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>
.

>         Rent DVDs from home.