Re: Re: Asterisk progress

Hi Patrick,

> So what is the fundamental issue with interoperability between your
> proxy and FWD? I still don't really understand what FWD brings to the
> party beyond what is effectively address translation (and an
> unhealthy pseudo-monopoly on voip "phone numbers"). The call
still
> has to be set up between the two parties using SIP doesn't it? Does
> it boil down to not being able to a phone not being to be registered
> to two proxies concurrently? If so it shouldn't be too difficult to
> set up a VoIP softphone connected to FWD which call-forwards to your
> real SIP address?
The main and only advantage of FWD is that it can be used behind a NAT
router where you cannot have access at the configuration (for example
airports, hotels, etc.).
Another one is that if all your friend have an account there, you can use
only numbers to call them.
If you use a regular phone is much more easier to enter numbers than
letters.

What I personally want to get from Asterisk or other solution is:
- register several FWD numbers and make a gateway between them and some
standard PSTN (fixed) number.

Best regards,
Dan

> > You can, well sort of. I actually have an issue with FWD, because
> > have a real proxy. So if you just sign up with FWD I can talk to
> you,
> > but only if I call you. I have not had a FWD user call me (iirc)
on
> > sip:andy@s... ...(someone care to try?). So if you just set
> > up a FWD account then you'll be able to call Dan, he will be able
> > call you and I will be able to call you but not you call me...
> > (are you lost yet?)
>
> So what is the fundamental issue with interoperability between your
> proxy and FWD? I still don't really understand what FWD brings to the
> party beyond what is effectively address translation (and an
> unhealthy pseudo-monopoly on voip "phone numbers"). The call
still
> has to be set up between the two parties using SIP doesn't it? Does
> it boil down to not being able to a phone not being to be registered
> to two proxies concurrently? If so it shouldn't be too difficult to
> set up a VoIP softphone connected to FWD which call-forwards to your
> real SIP address?
>
> Patrick
>

> ** UKHA2003 BE THERE! Details here:
http://www.automatedhome.co.uk/article.php3?story_id=1110