Re: Asterisk progress

Hi Andy,

Good to hear about your progress in Asterisk.
I am very interested in this subject too ..:-)

> TTS (Festival - not actually worth it, dire to say the least)
What's that?

> Short dialing (I can dial FWD users with 8<fwd number> and it
dials <fwd
number>)
do you mean 8<fwd  number> is shorter that <fwdnumber>?..:-)

> Voicemail notification on phones and via email (email attaches message
if
required)
Standard PSTN phones? How?

> I am thinking about either a single FXO card or probably (preferably)
mini gateway device (1 fxo, 2fxs is fine)
Do you think that Actiontec's USB InternetPhoneWizard (1xFXS,1xFXO) can be
used for such purpose?
I just ordered one in USA for about 40 USD...
I'm afraid that the FXO port is just switched to the FXS one when a regular
call must take place.
What about a standard voce modem used for the gateway?
There is Internet Line Jack available which works with somelinux
applications, but is much to expensive for me too (more than 250USD)...

> I'm using a mixture of softphones on PC's (3 x sjphone - seems to work
best for me) and hardphones (2 x Snom 100's).
Have you tried X-Lite?
It has G.723 too, which is a very good codec for not so hi QoS lines, as
ours. Sometimes when G.711 failed to offer a good conversation quality,
with
G.723 everything was perfect. Unfortunately, good hardware phones like
Cisco
7960 does not support G.723 and G.729 is a proprietary codec which is not
available for free. (Cisco ATA-186 supports G.723 and works very well).

Please keep us informed about your progress..It is a very nice and
interesting subject.

Best regards,
Dan