From: james_dunn67 [mailto:james.dunn@xxxxxxx]
Sent: 06 May 2003 22:33
To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
Subject: [ukha_d] Re: Radio networking...

Brian,

Since it looks like you're doing this for a public body, you should
be aware that you need to keep within 100mW (20dBm) EIRP (effective
isotropic radiant power).

To reach 2km with a good signal level, you are very likely going to
break the UK maximum permited RF power levels unless you buy some
very fancy high gain aerials.

See:

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/102/wlan/faq-hardware-us-calc.xls

For a good design reference.  (Don't forget to set the regulatory
domain to ETSI)

Other manufacturers may have slightly more sensitive radio kit than
Cisco to improve the range but I doubt if they'll be significantly
different.

Sorry to be a spoil sport.

Regards,

James

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Brian G. Reynolds"
<brian.g.reynolds@n...> wrote:
> I have been asked to sort a wireless connection to a School just
under 2km away.

> I know some people a while back suggested various kit and supplier,
could someone enlighten me please?

> Not sure if a "Pringles" can will look too
professional......

> Thanks,
>
> B.

** UKHA2003 BE THERE! Details here: http://www.automatedhome.co.uk/article.php3?story_id=1110