RE: TV Cards

Des, Gunpoint is always a pretty convincing argument.... :

Darryl, I like many others on the list have played with PC based Tivo
clones
and come to the
same conclusion - just buy a Tivo...

Problems include - (on a Win based system) picture quilty, poor
drivers/software, reliability,
noise, overall cost, the list is endless...

By the time I finished modding a case (for better quieter cooling), several
TV cards, more/less fans,
PSU's, mobos, etc. I had a very PC, but as Tivo it sucked.

Bought a Tivo last year (Hello Nick!), plugged it in, payed the lifetime
subs, and err, it's worked
fine ever since. No messing about, no constant tinkering, etc. Just an easy
to understand UI, quiet,
stable, nice remote. It just works like an house appliance should, SWMBO
loves it too.

To offer a balanced viewpoint, I understand the MythTV and Freevo (both
LinuxPC based Tivo clones)
are going great guns now, so they may warrant some looking into. Also
getting a modded XBox
complements the Tivo as a very nice Media Player (mpegs, digi photos,
mp3's,
etc).