RE: VOIP FXS Gateways that support SIP

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: VOIP FXS Gateways that support SIP
  • From: "Ian Willoughby" <ian@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 May 2003 09:21:18 +0100

Just got this response from Solwise, I really do love Solwise honesty, they
are one of the few companies that are a real pleasure to do business with
:-

I now have SIP firmware for ALL the pheenet gateways.

I'm just doing a bit of testing and then I'll post it on our downloads
site.

Cr*p means very poor speach quality even at quite low compressions. Tests
carried out by one of our punters (very large VoIP carrier - like the
largest in Europe) showed that H.323 running at a 10K compressed codec out
performed SIP running at 32K compression. i.e. the H.323 produced better
results and only used one third of the bandwidth. Now maybe 32K doesn't
sound bad but remember your ADSL upstream is only 256K so get a few VoIP
calls going with SIP and you might start to get problems.

Don't get me wrong here.... With MS and Cisco behind it (bl**dy 'ell cisco
make rubbish voip kit!) SIP is obviously going to get better but I just get
the impression that, like all MS stuff, it's been launched maybe a couple
of years too soon. Let's face it, after 18 months XP is just starting to
get useable (I'm still sticking with win2k for a bit longer). :-)

R's
Ian