RE: Digital cameras

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Digital cameras
  • From: "Nikola Kasic" <nikola@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 May 2003 15:24:48 +0100

Hi Martin,
I have Minolta D'image 7i, which is 5 megapixels all singing and
dancing, best reviews etc., but movies are still crap.
It's not bad for quick movies for web, or e-mails, but it cannot be
compared with proper DV camera. It's not the resolution, but the
framerate.
To be honest, I used default settings only, I can try to play with it
tonight, but I think that the problem is speed at which it can write to
memory (Compact Flash in my case). And also it consumes a lot of memory
(but you know that).
The better alternative might be to buy video camera, which can shoot
stills.
There are now 2 on the market, which can take 2 Mpixel images, latest
Sony, and now JVC GRP-DV9. I bought the latest recently (first shipped
to UK just month ago).
Again it's not perfect, video is excellent, but stills are a bit blurry
if not taken on sunshine. Sony's model has built in flash, which you
really need for shots inside, while JVD doesn't. Hovever, I vent for
JVC, because it was cheaper and smaller (even smaller then my Minolta)
so I can carry it around in my trousers' pocket. But you can put flash
on JVC one.
Cheers Nik