RE: VOIP FXS Gateways that support SIP

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: VOIP FXS Gateways that support SIP
  • From: "Ian Willoughby" <ian@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 May 2003 11:44:00 +0100

Hi Chris,=0D
This is kind of the inverse of what I am trying to achieve and is more
akin=
to FXO or the Asterix solution which if I hadn't plumped for a PABX would =
be my next best choice.=0D
=0D
I have made the concious decision not to go for ISDN on cost grounds as I =
would require 1 ISDN and 1 analogue to get ADSL  approx =C2=A340 a month
as=
opposed to a single analogue line at about =C2=A310 a month. The idea behi=
nd having least cost routing on the PBX where I dial a prefix and
magically=
calls go out over an FXS gateway to save call costs to family in the US et=
c appeals greatly as it saves more mony for toys ;-). Whilst SWMBO is PC
li=
terate the use of a PC to call someone is less intuative and if we got
thos=
e PC literate relatives IP phones or FXS gateways for Christmas we could
ge=
t them on the band wagon. I don't need SIP to achieve these but the FWD
gat=
eway appeals as a central phone directory, plus a lot of folks on here are
=
already on it. If possible I wan't to avoid the need for another PC
running=
24/7 to support VOIP, although I still might need this as a gatekeeper for=
the family VOIP solution. =0D
=0D
The most hopefult solution looks like the combine Vigor 2600 VOIP/ADSL
rout=
er, kills two birds with one stone, I just hope the price is sensible (for
=
sensible read cheap).=0D
=0D
The other option is to badger Solwise to see if SIP is in the pipeline as
a=
firmware update for any of their gateways, the pheenet one looks lovely.=
=0D
=0D
R's=0D
Ian=0D