RE: VOIP FXS Gateways that support SIP

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: VOIP FXS Gateways that support SIP
  • From: "Chris McGookin" <chris@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 May 2003 03:41:20 +0100

Hi Ian,
=20
possibly a mad thought, but as the BT Inspiration (I think this is the
switch you're buying) does ISDN, notably desktop ISDN. if you plugged an
ISDN card (=A320) into the the PC and got the right software you end up
with some sort of gateway, potentially with more call control and info
than FXO/ FXS.
=20
I suspect you'd need to buy a desktop ISDN card for the PBX which may
not be cheap though...
=20
I can't think of the right software, but this sort of thing is fairly
common in video conference which has been using the H.321/ H.323
protocols and ISDN for a while so it may be worth a rumage. Must even be
some open source.
=20
As for SIP, I can't say. The only potential telecommy issue I can think
of is that the call type headers (data/ voice/...) , etc produced by the
switch for analogue port originating calls (all!) might block the path
somewhere.
Maybe voicemail, fax, etc could then be run on the PC from ring no reply
on the extensions? This was sort of where I was trying to get to when I
had ISDN/ RVScom, only real difference was I had ISDN incoming.
=20
Maybe not what your looking for but thought it was mad enough to
mention...
=20
=20
=20