Re: [OT] Water or refrigeration PC cooling

Having being involved in the OCing scene for 5 - 6 years now, my humble=
opinion is neither. The reason being these:
There are 2 ways to go with overclocking - Pure Multipliers or FSB.
Although multiplier clocking will give you improve the speed at which your
=
processor runs, any clocker will tell you the FSB is where the real gains
a=
re to be made. Now if you want to push the fsb of your processor there are
=
several things to take into account:
First and foremost, is whether the particular core of the proccessor, AMD
o=
r Intel has already been pushed up by the manufacturers (266 -333 as this
w=
ill limit your potential to clock it harder)
Secondly is the memory that you intend to run it with suitable or stable
en=
ough to handle those faster FSBs (Crucial used to be as it was very
comfort=
able running quite hot, not so much these days)
Thirdly, if you are clocking the FSB this will impact on the other
componen=
ts within your PC, the PCI and ISA bus both run at multiples of 33mhz, eg
p=
c100 (x3) pc133 (x4) etc. The further you move from that 33 devisor on
your=
FSB speed the more unstable your PCI components are likey to become (to th=
e point that if you increase your FSB for arguements sake from 100 to 117,
=
and your system wont post you are smack bang in the middle of a devisor
and=
stressing your ancilliary components sometimes to the point of failiure) a=
nd I have blown 200 and 300 graphics and sound cards doing this.
All things considered you decide to go down the overclocking route, you
buy=
the most expensive motherboard you can buy, a new vapochill system, Radeon=
8700 fire it up, cool the core down to -90oc and it all starts working, bu=
t the system becomes unstable - why because once you start overclocking
the=
processor it needs more power (core voltage) and unless you have a nice sh=
iny PSU with a very clean +5v line then, you will find problems, so
120quid=
for a new sparkle psu (these are reconed to have the most stable 5 volt li=
ne).
You finally finish that rig =A32000 should just about do it, your
performan=
ce gain is likely to be ??
15 - 20% if you are lucky !!

In the good old days of clocking my 1 gig AXIA ran day in day out at 1500
(=
well just under) a 50% increase in speed for the cost of a bigger heat
sink=
whereas the cost of an xp1500 would have been over 300 quid. Today even wi=
th a vapochill i couldnt get 4500 out of a barton 3000 and even if I could
=
the rest of the components in my system probably couldnt keep up.

The rate of processing power is growing at a phenomenal rate these days,
an=
d 2 months after a new processor comes out its successor is here. A retail
=
Barton xp3000 is =A3273 a barton xp2800 is =A3187an xp2500 is =A3109, in 2
=
months that 3000 will be the same price as a 2800 and in a another 2
months=
probably the same price as a 2500. Even with using my GIS at work on my p4=
workstation my bottleneck isnt my processor (although this gets hit pretty=
hard) it is my hard Drives as my cheapskate boss specced ata133 drives and=
not SCSI 160s. The point that I am trying to make is that gone are the day=
s when bolstering your processor by overclocking it are going to give you
t=
hat shiny PC that you always dreamed of, the rest of the architecture in
th=
ere is so antiquated that it is struggling to keep up. We lightened the
loa=
d on the graphics by putting GPUs and huge amounts of ddr memory on
graphic=
s cards, we put expensive synthesizer chips on our sound cards and we made
=
our memory run twice as fast but we are still stuck with 33mhz bus speeds
t=
hat date back to the original IBM AT architecture and no matter how cool a
=
vapochill rig runs it cannot overcome this.

My advice, the relative cost of processing power is cheap today, and that
s=
hiny freon cooled sytem may give you the edge for a month or two until a
ne=
w processor comes out that is faster than your already stressed rig.
Better=
spend your money where you will see serious advantages, serial 150 hard dr=
ives are just round the corner, but scsi 160 is here now (and it is VERY
FA=
ST). Buy the fastest memory you can pc3700 with a low CAS latency (2.5) or
=
even better buy it as matched pairs as something like pc3500 CAS2.
If you want to do AV work buy a dual processor rig (much better than a
Vapo=
chill rig and still cheaper) with at least a gig of matched RAM. I dont
kno=
w what you want to do with your new toy but unless all you want to do is
ch=
ase your tail trying to break the fastest 3d mark (which is what most
clock=
ers do these days) I suggest getting someone to spec and build a rig for
yo=
ur application.

If you want to talk to someone about the futility of clocking and how to
br=
eak numerous world records (on air cooled sysytems !!!) give Andy Gibson a
=
bell at Overclockers.co.uk (he sold his vapochill and still trounces most
o=
f the freon cooled clockers).

Sorry for my rant,=20

Simon