RE: Coax Confusion

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Coax Confusion
  • From: "Hawes,Timothy Edward (GEG)" <haweste@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2003 14:40:33 +0100

Graham,

http://www.automatedhome.co.uk/static.php3?static_page=wiring/cable.html#tv
is a good place to start, click on the "Television / Satellite"
link.

In short, don't bother with RG cable, use CT100 as a minimum. CT100 is
double screened, low loss coax. CT125 and CT163 can be used for longer runs
(lower loss) but are harder to terminate (cable is stiffer). Maplin, RS,
B&Q, TLC and many others sell CT100, typically around 30 quid for 100m.

One thing I didn't realise until last night - the RG59 cable I've got
(salvaged from elsewhere) has a stranded centre conductor. This isn't any
good for most (all ?) "F" connectors (usually found on satellite
decoders, LNBs etc) as the plugs require a solid centre conductor.

I've wired throughout for coax distribution instead of *purely* Cat5 / KAT5
for a couple of reasons:
* Coax is relatively easy to understand for a future buyer of my house
* Whilst coax is more expensive than Cat5 (roughly 3x price) it doesn't
require any special equipment / modules at each end. That said, I've still
run Cat5 to the same locations as coax.

Oh, and run 2 cables where you only think you'll need 1.

HTH,

Tim H.