RE: Autom8it nolonger free?

Dean,

I understand your pain, that's why HomeAutomator was/is being developed
because we wanted something free to use. What I can see is the community
going out of UKHA, where making a buck is the be all and end all. I don't
subscribe to that point of view. What I do subscribe to is the community
of people who have given me many a toy/gift/replacement/helping hand
when I needed it. I feel I owe the group much in return and as a
consequence HomeAutomator stays free.

Looking around I've seen a great deal of work by many many people
on projects like xAP and xPL. These group efforts ensure that in
the end what is developed it useable by all, for nothing. We have
a hobby that is expensive in the commercial arena and this is the
reason for the growth of the many projects out there.. long may
it continue..

Andy

On 30/04/2003 at 00:14 Dean Smith wrote:

>Andy
>
>I know, hence the dollar sign ;-) , plus they were just a few examples.
>
>My point was that HomeSeer is no longer just 60 (as it was when I
bought it
>a year ago). It has matured as a product and the price has gone up. You
can
>now easily spend 150 with a few "big" plug-ins. so
considerably more than
>the less mature AutoM8it. Several developments have never appeared
>(noticably integrated web/security cam). I'm sure they will alos not be
>part
>of the core package when finally they're available
>
>The homeseer plug-in distribution makes it unlikely people (new users)
will
>realise alternative (mostly free) scripts/plug-ins are available -
>attention
>is drawn to the ease of installation (and in many cases payement) that
is
>offered via a few clicks.
>
>My fear for HomeSeer (and perhaps AutoM8it in 18months) is that the
people
>who make these products so useful (to me) are those that add their own
code
>(of which there are several on this list). The people who pay 150 up
front
>for software are (arguably) less likely to then muck in with their own
code
>and distribute that for free. Hence *all* development may need to be
done
>centrally - requiring further price rises to fund it etc. etc.
>
>I dont have any answers though.....
>
>Deano

I've been
>>recommending it to people who want to dip their toes in the waters
of HA,
>>and as it was free it meant no investment...
>>>
>>> disappointed of Holland,
>>
>>No longer free? FFS, I only downloaded some components last week
and
>>there was certainly no mention that it was going to be charged
for!!

>>Looks like Homeseer will be getting my business after all. I was
willing
>>to support Autom8it and offer help in the near future, but it's
nowhere
>>near ready as a production system for even my moderatley basic
needs.

>>Off to uninstall a certain package from my system.
>>
>>--
>>Calum Morrell
>>www.drochaid.org
>>

>>Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
>>

>><http://rd.yahoo.com/M=232617.3212172.4524785.2595810/D=egroupweb/S=1705041
>9
>>92:HM/A=1555962/R=0/*http:/shop.store.yahoo.com/cgi-bin/clink?1800flowers2+
>>hopping:dmad/M=232617.3212172.4524785.2595810/D=egroupweb/S=1705041992:HM/A
>=
>>1555962/R=1/1051651009+http://us.rmi.yahoo.com/rmi/http://www.1800flowers.c
>>m/rmi-framed-url/http://www.1800flowers.com/cgi-bin/flowers/product.pl/MD01
>>84aF3GROUPSHMYH/1202>
>>

>><http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=232617.3212172.4524785.2595810/D=egroupma
>>l/S=:HM/A=1555962/rand=598084367>
>>

>>** UKHA2003 BE THERE! Details here:
>>http://www.automatedhome.co.uk/article.php3?story_id=1110
**
>>http://www.automatedhome.co.uk
>>Post message: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
>>Subscribe:  ukha_d-subscribe@xxxxxxx
>>
>>Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo!
>><http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>
 Terms of Service.