RE: RE: Nigel Orrs IR and Ians PC circuit

ian.bird@xxxxxxx wrote:
> Your current board(s) will have a power supply somewhere to make them
> work. This power supply gives the bus power and the TSOP's simply
> grounds  or doesn't ground this bus. The bus is connected to the 555
> chip which is turned on and off depending on the bus state.
> The PC connection simply emulates the TSOP. From the serial port
> one of the connections is used to feed the base of a transistor
> (switch) through a resistor and this switch grounds or otherwise
> the bus.

Stuart/Ian thanks for your replies.  I think I understand nigels circuit
and
what the TSOPs do.  The TSOPs pull the bus low during IR activity, and so I
need the serial port to do the same thing.  But could I have a little more
detail please on how the serial port will act like a TSOP.

The IR sender circuit I have already has transistor switch feeding the
trigger on the 555 timer as per Nigels diagram
http://www.geocities.com/nigelorr/ir_extend.html.
 So coming out of the
serial port do I need an additional transistor switch, and what pin on the
serial port is supposed to feed it (Is it pin 3 Tx?).  A little diagram
showing what components to use and how to connect them up would be a great
help.

I think my main problem is the limited electronics knowledge I have is all
mixed up and wolley.

> The only common connection is ground which has to be connected
together
> so both devices are batting on the same 'ground' (excuse the pun).

:-) Ok, my bus consists of +12v, signal, 0v.  Each reciever/transmitter
circuit can have its own power, but they need to share the signal and 0v.

Rob

I feel like I need to go back to school and learn all about electronics
again.  It all seems like years ago... well it was :-(
--
______   __   _   ______   ______
/ ___   / /  /  / __    / _____ HOME: rob@xxxxxxx

<robert.chasmer@xxxxxxx>
>         cc:     "UKHA (E-mail)" <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
>         Subject:        [ukha_d] RE: Nigel Orrs IR and Ians PC circuit
>

> Rob,
>
> Not being electronically minded, I will try to explain as
> best I can, but
> I'm sure Ian will be able to explain more.
>
> The circuit that Ian built for me has a transistor switch
> controlled by
> the
> serial port.  This then puts a signal on the bus line and
> controls the TX
> module.
>
> The original circuits still need power.
>
> HTH, but like I say, Ian's explanation will be FAR better
> than  mine. ;-)
>
> Stuart

to teach the PC my remote
> > commands.
>
> Stuart/Ian, I have Nigel's circuit running through the house
> as well. With
> the arrival of a new PC at the beginning of the year I'm now ready to
> connect it to the IR bus and finally have a play with Dans IR
> software.
>
> I see the circuit connected to your PC has a TSOP which is
> for receiving
> IR.
> To inject IR on the bus for Nigel's sender circuit do you
> just connect
> this
> receiver in parallel with other TSOPs?.
>
> The TSOPs I've used with Nigel's circuit are 1838's that I
> got from Keith,
> rather than 1738's which I think have a slightly different
> pinout.  I've
> found a very similar circuit to the one on lirc but that uses
> the 1838's,
> with a good tutorial:-
> * http://www.meblin.karoo.net/infrared.htm
> * http://www.heatseekerz.net/index.php?page=articles&id=4&pagenum=3
>
> I think the idea is that this powers itself via the serial
> port, as there
> is
> no mention of a separate powersupply.  So my question is to I
> only need to
> connect the OUT (Pin 3), and GND (Pin 2) to my other circuits
> to do the
> trick?
>
> I've guessed at some maplin codes, I'm not sure if I got the right
> components:-
> Maplin                           Part  Description
> VH06G/AT02C/DT55K                10µF, 16V (elco)
>    Capacitor
>
> SC93B/YR75S/RA49D                100nF / 0.1µF           Capacitor
> D4K7                                             Res 4.7K
>    Resistor
> QL80B                                            1N4148  Signal Diode
> QL26D                                            LM78L05ACZ      0.1A
> Fixed Regulator
>
> Do this look about right?

> Franklin + Andrews is a business name of Franklin & Andrews
Limited
> (Registered in England No 4408389), whose registered office
> is at St Anne
> House, Wellesley Road, Croydon, CR9 2UL
>
> This email message and accompanying data transmitted with it
> are for the
> sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain
> information that is
> confidential. If you are not the intended recipient(s), you
> are notified
> that any use, dissemination, disclosure, distribution or
> copying of this
> message or data is prohibited.  If you have received this
> email message in
>
> error, please notify us immediately and erase all copies of
> this message
> and attachments.

> ** UKHA2003 BE THERE! Details here:
http://www.automatedhome.co.uk/article.php3?story_id=1110