FW: X10 replacement ?

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: FW: X10 replacement ?
  • From: "Kevin Hawkins" <lists@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2003 13:54:41 +0100

Really interesting stuff Ian - I hope it works out well - we need it now !

Just on the xAP side - you could of course truncate your names to be
whatever length you wanted within the xAP (and I think also xPL) current
specs meaning that you could use a.b.c instead of table.lamp.lounge - the
only knock on effect is that the devices must be unique and smaller names
limit the combinations. You would of course have the overhead of the rest
of
the xAP or xPL message structure but neither is large. Of course to support
wildcarding takes a bit more.

Additionally xAP has the UID field in the header - this is fantastic for
low
overhead address recognition - meaning that a receiver can recognise any
source in xAP by storing only 4 bytes - you can’t get much more
compact
than that. Even when you go to several switches say on one faceplate this
holds true (up to 254 switches on 65534 faceplates on each of 255 networks
!).

I see a great potential for another xAP gateway !

Kevin