NTL Broadband - Statically Dynamic IP?

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: NTL Broadband - Statically Dynamic IP?
  • From: "Richard Boreham" <richard.boreham@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2003 11:52:28 +0100

I use the NTL broadband service (not intended to upset anyone about
broadband stuff - honest!) and have a query about their dynamic ip
addressing that I'm sure someone can help with.

Reason is that I'm running a HA webserver and I access this externally.
Originally, I'd expected to have to deal with dynamic IP changes - so far
it
does not seem to have been an issue though.

First, I believe NTL use dynamic IP addressing -  Is this correct?  My
reason for asking is that the address seems to be very stable - it's been
the same for about a month now.

Second, Does anyone know why, how, when such a dynamic address would get
changed by the ISP.  Specifically, does anyone using NTL know how
frequently
refreshes seen to happen?  Is it perhaps because I run a hardware NAT
firewall behind the cable modem - would the ip address only change if the
firewall is powered down/up?

Ta

Richard