Re: USB phone interface and personal gateway

Dan,

If I answer that in detail, it'll start a flame-fest, so let's just say
that
I don't like Microsoft, but I fully respect other people's choice to use
whatever software they like.

Cheers,

Bruno

P.S. If anyone feels the need to turn this into yet another Windows vs
linux
debate, I'm on rugby tour for the next few days, so the fact that I don't
reply won't be just because such a debate is futile and pointless, but also
because I am otherwise engaged in equally futile and pointless activities.
:-)

Dan wrote:
> Hi Bruno.
>
> There is any specific reason for your decision to keep the home as a
> "Windows-free" environment?
> My main PC in the house works 24/7 and it has a lot of functions....
no need
> to reboot it for more than 6 months....and it is a WinXP Pro ...
> The single reason to use Linux in my opinion is the price...or as the
> majority of the actual PCs are sold with preinstalled Windows XP, then
even
> this is not an issue anymore...
>
> So.. I decide that there is no reason to buy a standalone IP phone..
is much
> too expensive and not such future proof as a combined
hardware/software
> solution.... and the main reason.. to use the same cordless phone ( a
DECT
> one) for both internet and PSTN calls, with Call Waiting
functionalities
> between PSTN and IP calls.
>
> Best regards,
> Dan
> P.S. ... or you want to say that your home doesn't have
windows?...:-))

Funny enough, that's not what I meant, but it's also pretty close to the
truth. It's a Grade 2 listed barn conversion, and our Conservation Officer
insisted that it look as close as possible to a working barn after we had
converted it. Part of that was to minimise the addition of any windows. We
got away with a few slit windows and small rooflights, but apart from that,
it only has the apertures that it started with. So the main source of light
in each room is the old barn doors, which have to be retained as barn doors
- we can't just glaze them like most conversions do. So I am putting motors
on each of them, and controlling them from Comfort - that was pretty well
where my interest in home automation started.