X10 replacement ?

  • To: "HA Yahoo group UK (HA Yahoo group UK)" <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: X10 replacement ?
  • From: "Ian Davidson" <ian@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2003 21:54:25 +0100

Hi All

A long time since my last post but I have been reading all the group
mail. Since I moved house last year I also started to install some X10
modules (at the old house I had some basic home made modules and some
home made RF linked kit) but soon stopped as they seemed so slow and
unreliable.  A few months ago I decided to build my own modules for use
around the house, all the lighting and some appliance modules etc.
Although X10 is a very well established I didn't like it and decided to
start from scratch. I know there are others (CBUS looks very good) but
they either were to expensive or required dedicated cabling to each
point (or both).

Anyway I've now got to the point of needing to get some PCB's designed
but thought I would ask people what they thought so far and if anyone
could suggest any improvements before I started on the PCB's (Hate that
job). Rather than explain everything here I've botched together a
webpage to explain it so please have a look if you have the time and let
me know of any mistakes or improvements you can think of.

http://www.galeforce9.co.uk/details1.htm

I still have much to do especially on the PC software side but I should
get there in the end.

Thanks

Ian D