Re: Getting Started with X10

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Getting Started with X10
  • From: "m_surgenor" <zen8432@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2003 11:49:26 -0000

Adrian

The easiest way is with plug-in devices. I assume you can get access,
it's just very difficult and you'd only rather do this once? In which
case you could use either a plug in AM12 or LM12 depending on what
you want to plug in to it and control. (As you've seen there are
other options but they will involve some electrical wiring. Once you
are comfortable with the theory of X-10 you may want to consider
this.)

Once you've got that you need something to send a signal to the
AM/LM12 to do something - i.e. power on / power off. There are many
options. A quick way is with a mini-controller. You can plug this in
to another socket somewhere in the house and press a button to
operate the remote AM/LM12 unit.

The next stage up is to send X10 signals to the AM/LM12 via software
on a PC. For that you need CM12 (and a PC and the software
obviously). I started with the kit on Let's Automate that includes
ActiveHome but there are now several other excellent packages
offering different levels of sophistaication out there.

Malcolm