UKHA 2003 - Advance search party :-)

  • To: "UKHA Discussion \(E-mail\)" <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: UKHA 2003 - Advance search party :-)
  • From: "Keith Doxey" <ukha@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2003 18:19:42 +0100

Hi All,

This weekend was my 43rd birthday and Sharon decided to treat me to a
weekend away.

She couldnt book us into the Ramada Jarvis Hatfield but got us into the
nearby Ramada Jarvis Hemel Hempstead.

I didnt take a laptop with me but conducted a couple of very basic tests
for
internet access.

1. CallerID - Rang my mobile from the room and got a Caller ID number
displayed which is good because most ISP's will reject calls where no CLI
is
present.

2. Rang 0808 99 33 001 which is the BTOpenworld Anytime number to see if it
would connect. Got answered by the modems which is another good sign but
couldnt check for full connectivity due to lack of laptop. BTO will allow
you to connect from any number ( or have done in the past) as long as CLI
is
present and you use the correct login details.

Now the bad news .... it cost me a QUID !!!!!

Asking at the reception desk it would appear that calls are charged by
metered unit, but for 0808, 0800 etc there would be no units to charge for.
However there is a SERVICE CHARGE of £1-00 PER CALL. I could apparently
have
surfed for a long time on my anytime account without incurring any further
charges but each time you connect will sting you a quid :-(

As stated... this was at Hemel Hempstead NOT Hatfield but I would imagine
the charges and phone setup would be standard across the group so this is
something to watch out for.

FOOD !!!!

For my birthday tea we went to Fatty Arbuckles in the Galleria at Hatfield
about 5 minutes walk from the UKHA 2003 Venue. I can safely report that the
"Midwestern Grill"  and  "Rack of Ribs" are both
excellent and good value
for money, and from our stay at the Hatfield Ramada Jarvis last August I
can
also confirm that the stuff yourself silly Breakfast Buffet will meet with
UKHAer approval :-)

There is also a new Malayan/Thai restaurant a couple of doors from Fatty
Arbuckles that looks quite nice.

Mark and Des can rest assured that I have now tested the route from Luton
Hatfield so should get them there no problem at all :-)

Keith

www.diyha.co.uk
www.kat5.tv