Re: RE: Good news for Non BB users, Ip Telephony

Hi Frank,

The 'standard' service allows for codecs with higher bit rates. This means
that
to get the throughput you need to have a fast(ish) connection. A dialup
modem is
not suitable for this, however the lite service allows for lower bit rate
codecs which
require less bandwidth and thus are suitable for dial up users. I have not
tested the quality
for dialup but I imagine that it is much poorer than higher bandwidth
connections.

One point to note is that either end needs to negotiate the codec, so you
could only
talk to clients with matching codecs.. iirc hardphones don;t support these
codecs (tho most could
via flash upgrade) some softphones do support them tho.

Andy