Re: FW: [HOMEVIS] The coolest piece of hardware ever

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: FW: [HOMEVIS] The coolest piece of hardware ever
  • From: "patricklidstone" <patrick@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2003 07:26:44 -0000

Apart from the reduced size, this device sounds remarkably similar to
the Rabbit core (www.rabbitsemiconductors.com) - I stuck one on my
comfort & one on my meteor caller id and one on a coffee machine a
while back, but TBH web enabling of devices has limited use.

You can't do dynamic updates without some lag due to refresh or using
Java, and in practical terms do you really want a separate web
browser associated with each and every device in your house?

How do you then tie these web browsers together reliably to provide
any kind of co-ordinated automatic control?

Network-enabling (a la xAP), on the other hand, provides the
opportunity for all devices to actually *communicate* with each other
spontaneously (and not just provide discrete human interfaces), with
the option of layering a human interface - whether a web browser or
whatever GUI - on top.

I guess what I'm saying is - based on real world experience - web
browser control of the kitchen sink isn't the holy grail it might
appear to be at first. Network enabling, OTOH, rocks.

Patrick

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Ian Lowe" <ian@w...> wrote:
> Yeah, we mentioned it on the xPL list a few days ago.. I'm trying
to get a
> sample to play with :)
>
> Ian.

HV